How to fix 100% disk usage in Windows 10 [ Best Solutions ]
100% disk usage in Windows 10 Appears when you suffer from a very slow performance at your Windows and your system hang suddenly.
You should upgrade your PC Hardware or replace your laptop with the a new one with high hardware specifications to get out from 100% disk usage issue.
Read also : How to Solve Touchpad Stopped Working after Upgrade to Windows 10 ?
I think your first impression about this article, it will be as other articles around the web which talking about this problem and the methods which lead to solving this issue.
But here we mentioned all solutions from A to Z and we will work hard to make this article updated from time to time with new solutions.
How to fix 100% disk usage in Windows 10 :
Solution 1 : Disable Antivirus Software and Windows Defender
Default Windows Defender or any other antivirus may cause high load on you computer and that leads to slow performance, so try to disable your windows antivirus and stop Real-Time Protection.
Solution 2 : Disable Some Windows Services :
There are some services in windows OS can make high load on your computer resources such as Superfetch and Windows search, so you can try to disable them.
Steps to disable Superfetch and Windows search :
- Hold and press Windows Key with R key then type services.msc.
- Search for Superfetch and Windows search then right click for each service and click on properties then from “startup type” select disable then OK.
Solution 3 : Reset Virtual Memory [ Page File ] :
Sometimes leaving automatically manage paging file option checked cause 100% disk usage in Windows 10, try to change the value of maximum size According to this formula
Maximum size of the paging file must be x1.5 the amount of RAM installed for example if your device running with 2 GB of RAM Maximum size should be 1024 * 2 * 1.5 = 3072 mb
- Go to Start > File Explorer. Right click This PC and choose Properties or Press and Hold Windows Key with Pause button from Keyboard.
- Click on Advanced System Settings then from Advance Tab select Settings.
- From Advance Tab Click on Change Button.
- uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives and check Custom Size and try to change numbers.
Solution 4 : Delete the entire contents of the Temp Folder :
- Hold and press Windows Key with R key then Type “temp” then Select all the files and delete them.
Solution 5 : Change IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers value in registry :
This Problem Caused by StorAHCI.sys driver due to a bug in the firmware.
- Open Device Manager and from IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers select AHCI controller.
- From Driver tab Click on Driver Details then if you see storahci.sys in the path system32 folder that mean you are running inbox AHCI driver at your System.
- Go Back to Detail tab and select Device Instance Path from Property drop down menu.
- Then Copy The Appeared Path by right click and copy using your mouse .
- From Start button Type regedit and follow the path “””””HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetEnumPCI <AHCI Controller><Random Number>Device ParametersInterrupt ManagementMessageSignaledInterruptProperties””””
- Then Change MSISupported Value to 0 by double click on it then restart you computer.
Solution 6 : Uninstall or change settings in some apps such as Skype and Google Chrome :
- Google Chrome : Uncheck Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly from Show Advanced Settings option in the settings.
- Skype :
- Right click on skype.exe then click on Properties.
- Choose Edit from security Tab.
- click on ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES and check Allow Write option then click on OK.
Solution 7 : Disable System and compressed memory process
- Go to Control Panel and search for Administrative Tools then click on Task Scheduler.
- double-click on Task Schedule Library then double-click Microsoft > Windows > MemoryDiagnostic.
- From Right Panel right-Click on RunFullMemoryDiagnosticEntry and click on Disable.
- Restart Your Computer
Solution 8 : Perform a clean boot in Windows 10:
Clean boot helps you to remove conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. here a good video from MDTechVideos channel explains how to clean boot in Windows, also you can read this article from Microsoft about this solution here.
Last Solution : Upgrade your Computer RAM
as we said in the beginning of this article you should to upgrade your computer Hardwere or buy a new one.